Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Orthodontic Appliances, a.k.a...BRACES




No question about it, dental appliances, a.k.a braces, have improved since the 1960’s.  Well, really since the time of B.C., when the whole concept began.  Actual applications, as we can relate, were in the 1800’s and what people endured for a charming smile was truly torture.  Braces were complete bands around the tooth until a “glue” was developed in the 1970’s that would bond a bracket on the exterior of the tooth.  Wires were many and varied but the advent of elastics was not until the early 1900’s.  You may thank Calvin Case for elastics and all the problems involved or perhaps fun.

My first memory of braces was near age 10 and that dear reader was 50 years ago.  First there was a series of impressions, a mold of your teeth, to determine what, where, how your braces would be placed. A metal, impression tray with a handle was filled with some sort of “goop” akin to cement.  While this “goop” was soft, the tray was shoved onto either your upper or lower jaw quite firmly.  As in, pushed into place and held there for the amount of time it took to solidify.  No amount of wailing, gasping or tears would remove this tray until the orthodontist determined an impression had been made.  Now, if you were unruly or had squirmed or shifted your mouth, the process was repeated.  Upon removal of this tray, I quickly looked to see how many teeth had been extracted in the process.  None.  However some of that “goop” was attached to parts of my mouth and teeth.  Brushing would help but nothing could remove the feel or the taste.  That was visit one.

On visit two, you might get your bands.  These were a lovely shade of gunmetal gray and surrounded the teeth involved.  On the third visit, the torture continued with wires added.  As if this were not enough pain for a young child, the fourth visit was the “twister” or the tightening of the wires.  Finally, after some time with the wire torture, the rubber bands were introduced.  You had to carry a packet of these miniscule bands everywhere because they were forever breaking, popping off in mid-sentence or being swallowed.  Oh right, it was funny in class but also, tres embarrassing.  If you were truly doomed, you would be fitted with headgear or what I would call a “headstall”. (Even my horse does not wear something this terrible.)  My dear sister had to wear headgear at night and did not sleep comfortably for the entire treatment period.  Nightmares, yes.

Who dreamed up this pain and why were my parents paying for it?  Did they hate me?  No, I had inherited my father’s family's teeth, too few.  As in twelve too few and very small facial bones.  When I think of the years of orthodontic treatment, I know my parents loved me very, very much to support the reconstruction of my mouth.   After braces, came partials or bridgework that could be removed.  Imagine wearing partials during college; isn’t that what old people wore?  Didn’t they soak their partials in a glass by the bed, too?  The worst was my first year teaching when one “fake” tooth on the upper partial broke.  OMG!!!! I could not go to work that day until the tooth was glued back in place. 

Finally, when I was 30, Dr. Bob Harris did a procedure called the Maryland Bridge which not only changed my life but his, too.  Dr. Harris was a new dentist in practice with Dr. Pearce Roberts, who was the end all to dentists in Asheville, NC.  My mouth was Dr. Harris’ first big project and an extreme success.  This “bridge” was both upper and lower with a permanent placement which was not an implant.  At the time, we thought this might last 15 years.  30 years and counting…always select a perfectionist when you want the job done right!!  I might mention that Dr. Roberts had done some mercury fillings when I was 7 years old to close teeth which had formed incorrectly.  I still have those fillings with no leaks.  Again, a perfectionist.

So why am I doing braces again?  My teeth have shifted & separated; both jaws are misaligned; major TMJ, and my bite is a disaster.  Not to mention the cosmetic issues.  Will insurance cover this?  NO!!  If I had had jaw surgery and replaced my bridge work, then I would have been compensated to some extent.  How crazy and incredibly painful would that have been??  So, braces were the logical solution.

Is there a difference between the 1960’s version and the 2011 version of braces?  PLEZ! OMG!!  LOL!!  I guess the price would be comparable but the pain would be so much less.  First visit was a series of X-Rays and “before” photos.  When you see your mouth in living color and your teeth looking so “sad”, there is no question that intervention is necessary.  There are NO, I repeat NO IMPRESSIONS at any time.  You are presented a selection of braces based on your needs (and financial situation).  A treatment time line is suggested.  No pressure.  You can leave without a commitment. 

I stayed. This was an excellent decision.  Dr. Roeder and staff made all the arrangements; all I had to do was be on time for my appointment.  This is a lovely office with a lot of “stuff”.  Most of the patients are tweens or teens so the office lobby needs to appeal to them with games and Internet.  There is a Senso machine area; televisions tuned to whatever channel; computer check-in, magazines, a board with the daily events and contests.  Yep, Dr. R. & staff play some serious games with patients… I even won a prize!  Check out their fun page on FB..I am there!

Second visit was installation of braces.  Today’s braces are brackets “glued” to the front of the tooth.  Each bracket has a little door that opens and closes over the wires.  My brackets are clear in the line of vision.  The back ones are that ugly metal color but who cares.  If I am smiling that big, I must be looking like a total jerk.   Did it hurt?  A little.  But the following two days were the painful ones.  Take 2 Aleve and quit complaining.  The fun begins when you rearrange your eating techniques.  Don’t think about hamburgers, fries, pizzas or even salads for several days.  Little bites are good; look for foods that will not hang disgustingly from your wires.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS carry a toothbrush or dental pic.  Never, ever leave home without one or you will be so embarrassed.  Have you ever seen a portion of a noodle or lettuce or bread lodged on a bracket or wires?  GROSS! GROSS! GAG! 

Visit three in late October will be for the installation of my lower braces and more on that when it happens.  I am SO,SO smiling...thanks to Dr. Harris and Dr. Roeder.


Check this link for a brief history of orthodontics and a few photos:Carleigh Canterbury The Advancement of Orthodontics from the ...

 Dr. Roeder and I are wearing our fun hats.  Got my Minnie hat last year in Disneyland when Sister was running a half-marathon.



No comments:

Post a Comment