Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Odie & the dentist



Me & Dr. Z...where are my feet going?



I should have known that this was not going to be a good day when Mars and I did not get turned out in our big pasture.  Okay, so I messed up my grazing muzzle but no reason to keep us inside. (no kidding...had to buy you a brand new one.) Mars said the docs must be coming since it was not bad weather.  So, what does that mean?  I have had all my shots. Do not need no docs.  Not just a doc but a dentist, one who works on your teeth.  Say, what!!?  Mars said to be quiet and watch.  I tried but the sound was so loud that I just looked out my window, hoping no one would notice me.

Ha!  Aunt Janet had called Mom to tell her I needed "work" on my teeth.  Plez. My teeth are fine.  I eat grass, well, sort of with this muzzle and I eat hay.  (Odie, you get plenty of grass and plenty of hay.  Haffies do not eat grain unless they are working hard.That would be like pulling a wagon or a plow.  You play.)  My teeth are doing great.  I cannot stand that high piercing noise much longer!

Oh, thanks for shutting that off. I was going a bit batty.  WAIT, who are you and why are you taking me out of my stall?  I don't know you.  You are a stranger.  Leave me alone. OUCH!!!! Did you just poke a needle in my neck? I hate, hate, hate needles!! That hurt.  Iz dat Mom in barn?  Mom, help! (Odie, you are fine just a tad dazed & woozy from the shot. I will be right here to protect you. Your teeth are very sharp & pointy where they should be smooth & round. You have bitten the inside of your cheeks with these sharp points.  Poor guy, I did not know you could have mouth sores like I do. Now relax.)  Easy for you to say.  Oops, mai feet iz going in all different ways.  iz i drunk? i wants to lie down for nap.  stop makin me hold up mai head; iz just too heavy.  u wants to put that in mai mouf??? mom!!!

Odie had his teeth "floated" with a power drill and a file. It was painful to watch Odie trying to regain his balance but he was not in danger of falling.  The shots relaxed him, really relaxed him, so that Dr. Z could work inside his mouth without the worry that Odie might bite him or move quickly.  The head set and "bumper" held Odie's head in place. The whole process took about an hour.  You can read about Dr. Z on the link & find out more about equine dentistry.  Horses should have a dental appointment once a year for good general health, just like humans go every six months or every two months to Dr. Roeder for my braces.

OHHH, my aching head!  iz over?  can i go to mai room? plez?? (Odie, you did fine but you are still a tad wobbly. You will be feeling perky in about an hour. Probably no pasture today.) Mai room, oops, missed that step into room. i iz starved after "operation" so where mai hay? (Well, Odie is certainly my horse.  I need food after any ordeal.)here iz wall... lean on it for nap...


Whew! What happened? Let's have some fresh air and then a bite of hay.  Ha! Ha!  That doc thought he had removed all my hay...there are still some choice pieces.  Hmmm...a bit sore in the mouth but chewing hay will help.  MOM!!!  Aunt Janet!!!  I want to go outside to play. NOW!!


See photos of this awful event. (ODIE...be nice. All horses and humans need to visit the dentist.)  WHATEVER!  Let me outside,plez.

trying to cross my legs & still stand    
extreme instruments of torture
wait, dat iz a lot in mai mouf   
mai mouf iz open, wide!             
lean on mai wall

whew! fresh air.  hey, would someone get that yellow ick off my mouth?



2 comments:

  1. Camryn here:
    My Mom saw your Mom post about your blog. I have my own blog too. Nice to meet ya Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Odie! That dentist sure is an ordeal, isn't it?

    I have a Haflinger mare, Shyloh. It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete